January 11, 2012

Top Metal Albums of 2011

This list is sort of irrelevant, since it's already 11 January. I'll keep this list short and sweet.

In no particular order:
Obscura – Omnivium (death metal)
Riot – Immortal Soul (traditional metal)
Megadeth – Th1rt3en (thrash metal)
Ulcerate – The Destroyers of All (death metal)
Primordial – Redemption at the Puritan’s Hand (progressive black metal)
Blut Aus Nord – 777 Sects/The Desanctification (black metal)
Amon Amarth – Surtur Rising (death metal)
Battle Beast – Steel (traditional metal)
The Physicists - Observation (progressive/industrial/just-plain-strange metal)
EDIT: I forgot to add Burzum - Valen (black metal)
Honourable mentions go to Hemoptysis - Misanthropic Slaughter and Impureza - La Iglesia Del Odio (if I'd managed to get hold of the full albums last year, these two would've been on my top albums list).

Two South African releases that really impressed me were Architects of Sadism by A Walk With the Wicked (death/groove metal) and Recursive by The Broken Result (death metal; released in 2010, but I only heard it this year, thus the inclusion on my 2011 list). Two of my favourite local bands are planning album releases for 2012, so I've already got something to look forward to in the realm of 2012 albums.




No comments:

Post a Comment