January 19, 2012

Review: Mastodon - The Hunter

I haven't heard a lot of progressive metal thus far - The Hunter is only the second full-length prog metal album I've listened to (the first was Iconoclast by Symphony X).

The Hunter is an enjoyable listen, with great vocals from bassist/vocalist Troy Sanders. His vocals on this album are clean with a slight rough edge. The atmosphere of the album is varied. Stargasm has a spacey, expansive feel, as does Octopus Has No Friends. I really liked the lively rhythm of the intro to Octopus Has No Friends, as it draws the listener into the journey that is the song. Melancholy descends with the opening notes of the title track. The guitar solo near the end of the song had a beautiful, moving quality to it. Thickening has a dark, seductive tone. Whimsy comes into play with Creature Lives. I imagined one of those typical swamp monster characters seen on TV, with fins on the side of its head. For the most part, I enjoyed the slower tracks on this album.

Judging from this offering, and what I've read about them, Mastodon seem like an interesting and creative band - I'm curious to hear more of their discography, and more of progressive metal in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment