January 15, 2012

Review: Strident - Oath

This year I've decided to review all/most of  the metal albums I hear for the first time (including old releases). I would've liked to review albums from other genres too, but unfortunately I don't have a time-turner like Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

The first full album I listened to this year was Oath by Cape Town power metallers Strident. To enjoy this album, you need to approach it with a sense of humour. Strident don't take themselves too seriously, so switch your brain from Serious Metal Scholar mode to Good Times mode.

The instrumental track Prima Lux  Ante Bellum opens the album on a grand note, hinting at the over-the-topness to come. Metal or Death has a distinct Manowar feel - throughout the rest of the album, you can hear the Manowar influences. Odin Be Our Guide is a lively, battle cry type of song, and was a highlight for me both times I saw Strident live. Vocalist Deon Van Heerden's voice is at its best on this track, as well as on the others that contain clean singing (as opposed to the semi-growl).

There's a lot of great guitar work on the album; I'd like to hear a more in-your-face sound from the guitars next time around. The lyrics are fun to sing along to, especially those of Power Metal From Space! It's definitely one of the catchiest heavy metal songs I've ever heard, and another  live highlight. I did have a ''Huh?'' moment during a verse of Undead Legion, but it made me laugh so I'm not complaining. The closer, Fire Of Legends, had me imagining a line of guys with arms around each others' shoulders and beer tankards in hand singing this song, because of its 'brothers united in metal' vibe. It ends with twinkly harpsichord notes, then rumbles into a big, over-the-top finish.

Oath was a lot of fun to listen to. I believe that heavy metal doesn't always have to be serious to be good.









No comments:

Post a Comment