June 29, 2010

Women who rock

One day in June, I came across one of the most exciting blogs I have ever seen -  Jukebox Heroines.

Blogger and musician Emily writes about women in the music industry. She writes reviews of new releases, analyses issues relating to female musicians such as sexism, reviews albums and new artists, and writes other interesting and relevant articles. Two articles I've really enjoyed so far are Female Guitarists and Why Lady Gaga is a Feminist. As a beginning guitar player, I look to guitar greats such as Santana and Clapton for inspiration to keep on playng. I was very excited to find more female musical role models (my previous mental list was a bit short) like Jennifer Batten and arena rock band Jaggedy Ann. Jukebox Heroines has exposed me to a huge number of female artists whom I never knew about until recently, and made me more aware of the difficulties that face female musicians and the history of women in the music industry.

Jukebox Heroines deserves a 21-guitar salute for all the excellent work that has been published on the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment