June 23, 2010

Is it time to introduce the Television Match Official to soccer?

This is probably a much-talked-about topic. But since it's one I feel strongly about, I'll add my thoughts to the debate.

Sometimes during soccer matches, yellow or red cards which seemed undeserved have been given. A yellow or a red can have a profound effect on a game. Seeing Brazilian Luis Fabiano's two unnoticed handballs during the Brazil vs Ivory Coast Group G match made me decide that I am definitely for TMOs in soccer. I can understand the referee's missing the ball that touched Fabiano's shoulder, but the forearm ball was a clear handball (I know Fabiano's back was facing the ref, but it was still unfair). A penalty against Brazil was in order there.

While I am for TMOs in soccer, there are some reasonable points against them. One of the opposing reasons for soccer TMOs I've come across is that it might slow the game down. As a compromise, TMOs could be used in matches that determine whether a soccer team reaches the next round in a competition, for example, the 'Round of 16' stages of the World Cup.

I think it's safe to say that introducing TMOs will be expensive. Perhaps they could create a divide between which leagues can afford them and which leagues can't. However, I would very much like to see TMOs introduced at the World Cup if they are introduced at all. Another (mostly personal) doubt I've had about TMOs is that their introduction would be a confirmation that soccer is, at times, a dishonest game that needs extra policing (by dishonest I mean play-acting, diving etc.). No TMOs in soccer provide a fragile bubble in which my romantic idealist side can hide, safe in the knowledge that soccer is 'the Beautiful Game' in every way.

No comments:

Post a Comment